International Services, Inc.

Whether you are an experienced importer or just beginning, WELCO needs some basic information for us to work together.

After WELCO has all the required information, we manage your account without interruption.

Regular, ongoing shipments require even less attention from the importer, and WELCO completes these shipments with seamless transitions.


To get started, these topics cover the minimum amount of information that we need:

Power of Attorney (POA) *
Customs bonds *
Importer Security Filing (ISF) **
Customs clearances

*   usually required once
**   mandatory for all cargo entering the United States by ship

If you want to ask about other parts of the import process, please make sure to give WELCO the information we need. Please refer to the checklist on our Contact Us page.

Power of Attorney (POA) -- Federal regulations require WELCO to have your written authorization to act on your behalf with Customs. This standard form is called a Power of Attorney (POA).


1. Please complete the downloadable POA form.
downloadable POA
for corporations
downloadable POA with instructions
for partnerships, sole
proprietorships, and individuals
The information required on the POA for corporations:
full name of the corporation
state in which the company is incorporated
main corporate street, city, state, and zip code
Employer Identification Number (EIN) issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
The EIN must be verified by a document issued by the IRS.
full names and titles of the two corporate officers signing
Corporate officers are president, vice president, treasurer, CEO, CFO, etc.

A document issued by the IRS to verify the EIN is required.

2. For best results, print on 8½ x 14" paper.
3. Fax or email the signed and dated POA to WELCO, and we will review it before we finalize it.
4. The POA is properly completed.
WELCO will keep it on file.
  If the client's company name, corporate structure or address changes, we will need a new POA.
WELCO will verify the EIN with Customs.
WELCO will setup the client in the Customs computer as needed.
WELCO will get your continuous Customs bond as requested.

Customs bonds -- All importers must have a Customs bond.


1. You can get a bond that covers only one shipment. It is called a single entry bond.
longer Customs clearance
requires couriered documents instead of electronic documents


2.  WELCO can help importers obtain a bond that covers all their imports for 12 months. It is called a continuous Customs bond.
A continuous Customs bond will save you money.
A continuous Customs bond covers all your entry bond requirements for all your imports.
A continuous Customs bond facilitates faster clearances.
A continuous Customs bond covers the Importer Security Filing (ISF) bond requirements.

WELCO must have your POA and payment to begin the continuous bond application process.

Importer Security Filing (ISF) -- Customs requires ISF for all cargo entering the USA by ship.


1.  WELCO must have your POA to submit the ISF.
2.  Please ensure that WELCO has the information at least 48 hours before the goods are loaded onto the ship destined to the United States.
  U.S. Customs requires importers to submit specific data at least 24 hours before the goods are loaded onto a ship destined to the United States.
  Failure to file, or even late filing, can result in a $5000 penalty for the importer.


3.  In order for WELCO to transmit the ISF data on your behalf, please provide the following information:
complete ocean bill of lading number
container stuffing location name and address
consolidator name and address
manufacturer or supplier name and address
seller name and address
consignee name and address
consignee federal identification number
buyer name and address
importer federal identification number
country of origin
commodity tariff numbers

Customs clearances -- WELCO handles Customs clearances throughout the USA.


1. Send your import documents to WELCO.
commercial invoice
  The commercial invoice must have the commodity description in English, and it should show the seller's name and address, the buyer's name and address, and the purchase price of the goods.
  Certain commodities require additional information on the commercial invoice. Please check with the appropriate government agency or WELCO.
packing list
  The packing list should show the total gross weight and net weight of the shipment. It should list the total number of shipping packages.
for ocean shipments - ocean bill of lading
An original ocean bill of lading may be required.

for air shipments -- air waybill

Other documents may be required by the United States government depending on the commodity.
  For example, the Food and Drug Administration must approve the import of foods, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment, radiation emitting devices, cookware, cosmetics, and others.
  Goods with a trademark must have proper authorization from the trademark holder.
  Goods must be marked with the country of origin.
  Please check with the relevant government agency before importing your products into the United States.
  Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
  Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
  Department of Agriculture (USDA)
  International Trade Commission (USITC)
  Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
  Department of Transportation (DOT)
  Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
  Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)
If you are not sure, please feel free to contact WELCO for guidance.

WELCO International Services, Inc. is licensed as a Customs Broker by the United States Department of the Treasury (serial number 21652).
WELCO International Services, Inc. is licensed by the United States Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) as an Ocean Transportation Intermediary (OTI) freight forwarder and Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier (NVOCC) under FMC OTI license 023299NF.

© 2018 - | WELCO International Services, Inc. All rights reserved.
Bookmark Us | Go to the Top of the Page